As always this was our Christmas challenge and the most exciting one to do. I loved doing this bread and was really a big challenge. I never tried baking this type of bread earlier. I tried this recipe twice , since for the first time , it didn't turn out well. This time i tried this recipe " Vanocka " with a creative idea of baking it healthier. My hubby is very keen about his health , so had to take care of each ingredient to be used. Find the below ingredients to have a delicious and healthier bread.
Wheat flour - 2 cups + 1/4 cup
Oil - 1/4 cup
Egg yolks - 2
Oats - 1 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Yeast - 21/2 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Lukewarm Milk - 3/4 cup
Lukewarm water - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Egg - 1 ( beaten )
- In 1/4 cup lukewarm water , add 1 tbsp of sugar and yeast and stir together and let it rest for 5 mins or until the yeast is dissolved.
- In a bowl , put flour , oats , sugar , salt , vanilla , egg yolks , oil , yeast mixture , milk.
- Combine well and knead by hand for 2 to 3 mins
- Make the braids and make sure to prick in the bread using toothpick. you can follow the Braid making using the following link ( adapted from youtube ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJiECBCgCc
- Brush the top with egg wash ( egg ( beaten ) + 2 tbsp water ).
- Bake for 35 mins @ 180'C , for the last 20 mins cover the top of the bread with aluminium foil in order to avoid the bread to get burnt.